As older adults, it is important to stay active and lead a healthy lifestyle. There are lots of opportunities in Solihull to take part.
Taking part in physical activity can:
- Increase mobility, strength and flexibility
- Maintain independence
- Reduce the risk of falling
- Improve mood and increase self-esteem
- Delay the onset of dementia
- Help to meet new people and stay sociable!
If you haven’t been active for a long time it is recommended to increase your activity levels gradually.
Gentle Activity Programme
The Step into Solihull project is a gentle activity programme in Solihull which incorporates a walking programme and gentle exercise sessions.
Our full activity programme, including days/times/locations and prices, can be found in our: Step into Solihull Booklet.
Sessions are aimed at people aged over 45, and there is something for everyone. You are welcome to just turn up on the day or for some sessions you can book in advance. Sessions run on a first come-first served basis. The exercise sessions are suitable for everyone, but if you are unsure, please come along to a session and find out for yourself.
On arrival at your first session you will be asked to fill out a registration form, you can complete the form in advance online or request a copy to be mailed out by contacting Solihull Active. Please contact us on 0121 704 8207 if you have any questions or need the registration form in a different format.
Gentle Activity Timetable
- Tai Chi – Don’t do stress … do Tai Chi. Step into Solihull offers sessions at: North Solihull Sports Centre, The Core (Central library Solihull) and Bentley Heath Community Centre.
- Extend – Offers gentle exercise to music classes for over 45’s. The sessions promote health, increase mobility, and improve strength, co-ordination and balance.
- Dance – Experience a variety of dance styles with our local ‘Stepping out’ dance classes at The Core (Central library Solihull). The Core also offer a monthly Tea Dance in the studio. Please visit The Core website for more information.
- Line dancing – A session suitable for beginners, all capabilities, and open to over 45’s, taking place at Bentley Heath Community Centre. The classes all work on a first-come first-serve basis and you are welcome to just turn up on the day.
- Yoga – Local hatha yoga and chair-based yoga sessions are available to cater for beginners and those with poorer mobility. Yoga classes are great for both body and mind! Classes are available at North Solihull Sports Centre and The Core (Central library Solihull).
- Walking Football – A slow-paced version of the game aimed at getting players back involved in the sport. Currently available at Tudor Grange Leisure Centre and Beechcroft Community Sports Club.
- Walking Netball – A slowed down version of the game of netball, designed for anyone looking to exercise in a relaxed, supportive and friendly environment. These sessions can be found at Beechcroft Community Sports Club and Tudor Grange Leisure Centre.
- Active Seniors / Forever Fit – A fun, low intensity, low impact session for older adults who want to work their heart, muscles and increase flexibility, all in one easy to follow class. These sessions can be found at North Solihull Sports Centre and Tudor Grange Leisure Centre.
- The Tuesday Group – low intensity, low impact session for people who have suffered a stroke or are living with a disability or long term health condition. These sessions can be found at Seeds of Hope.
Striders and Strollers Wellbeing Walks
Come and enjoy your local area, meet new people and improve your health. Solihull Striders and Strollers provide health walks throughout the borough. We have 12 regular walks led by our volunteer walk leaders. All of our walks take place in the morning. Current dates, times and locations can be found in our current Step into Solihull Booklet. Please visit our Walking in Solihull page for further walking information.
Walking sports are a slower version of the traditional game played at a walking pace with adapted rules. Sessions are fun and friendly with many health and social benefits. Opportunities in Solihull include: football, netball, rugby and tennis. Find out more on the walking sports webpage.
Ping! is on a mission to bring ping pong to the people!
Find our ping pong tables in green spaces across Solihull! To join in the fun, simply head for a table and play… it’s absolutely free! Check out the Ping! Solihull webpage for more details.
Active For Life – Free Annual Event
Next Event Date: 16th – 22nd October 2023
Venue: North Solihull Sports Centre & Tudor Grange Leisure Centre
Everyone Active, in partnership with Solihull Council, annually host the Active for Life Games event,
Running across both North Solihull Sports Centre and Tudor Grange Leisure Centre, as well as external providers, activities typically include Hatha Yoga, Forever Fit, Health Walks, Table Tennis, Gym Access, Nifty Fifties and much more!
The Active for Life Games is aimed at people aged over 50+. Both centres and external providers will deliver a range of sessions, all free of charge! The Games are a great way for people to get together, experience new sports and most importantly, have fun!
Other local organisations that offer physical activity opportunities
- Friends in Recreation Solihull: FIRS has been providing weekday daytime activities for over 50’s in Solihull for over 40 years. It is run by volunteers, and everyone is welcome.
- University of the Third Age: U3A members are learning, staying active and having fun in later life. It’s local, social, friendly, low-cost and open to all.
- Age UK Solihull: Age UK Solihull is a local, independent charity working in Solihull to offer support and services to older and vulnerable people.
- Bentley Heath Community Centre: Bentley Heath Community Centre has been at the heart of Bentley Heath, Solihull, for over 60 years. It is a thriving hub for many regular activities and meetings and serves both the local community and the wider community of Solihull Borough.
- North Solihull Sports Centre: With a huge variety of facilities to enjoy, North Solihull Sports Centre is a fantastic place to get active and enjoy yourself.
- Tudor Grange Leisure Centre: Tudor Grange Leisure Centre has everything you could possibly need to enjoy getting active.
- Solihull Support Group: particularly suitable for people with osteoporosis or arthritis, call 07856 209567.
- Nordic Walking: Nordic Walking is an enhancement of ordinary walking – it makes something we can all do… twice as effective! Nordic Walking uses poles in order to add two major benefits to walking.
- Ramblers in Solihull: The Ramblers – Britain’s walking charity working to protect and expand the places people love to walk and promote walking for health and pleasure.