Cycling is a great way to increase your fitness, boost your mental health, and to socialise. It’s also an affordable and efficient way of getting around. Whether you’re an experienced rider or a beginner, there are a range of cycling opportunities available within Solihull.
Beginner-friendly Guided Rides
You can join free led rides organised by British Cycling via the Let’s Ride website. The rides on offer cater for all different levels of fitness and abilities but are particularly suitable to those starting out or returning to cycling.
Beginner-friendly routes with bikes available to borrow.
Breeze Rides (women-only)
The Breeze programme is a led ride programme delivered by women for women (please note, these rides are typically for adults unless stated otherwise).
Cycling for Everyone – Dr Bike & security marking events. Sustrans are delivering local events, where residents can bring their bike along for a FREE bike health check, repairs, and security marking with BikeRegister!
- New dates to be confirmed.
Community Cycling Hubs
Solihull has four community cycling hubs and a recreational cycling programme from each hub! Sessions from these hubs allow people without a bike to join in, and you can also borrow a bike if it’s more convenient than bringing your own. Bikes are a range of sizes and include a mixture of open/step-through frames and cross-bar frames. Helmets are also available to borrow.
To help you get to the community cycling hub sessions, these are the best postcodes to use in your Sat Nav:
- Babbs Mill Hub is at the Pavilions Club, Meriden Drive, Kingshurst, B37 6BX.
- Elmdon Park, Elmdon Park Road, Solihull, B92 9EJ (next to the Church car park).
- Shirley Park, Stratford Road, Shirley, B90 3AL (past the tennis courts, behind Grenville Road).
- Tudor Grange Park, Monkspath Hall Road, Solihull, B91 3DN (next to the cycle track).
The cycling hubs can be booked by ride leaders, organisations, groups or clubs for free to host their own cycling sessions.
Find out more on our Community Cycling Hub bookings page.
If you are interested but don’t have your own qualified ride leader or cycling instructor then please contact [email protected]. We can support with providing activities for groups and organisations, or provide free training opportunities to those who want to organise their own cycling activities.
Local Groups & Clubs
- Belles on Bikes – A women’s cycling group which offers support and encouragement to women riders of all abilities.
- Clean & Green Cycle Safe – A community-led, not for profit Cycle Project aimed at encouraging ALL to cycle safely and have fun in our wonderful, local spaces.
- Cyclesolihull rides are free and open to anyone. Rides are weekly, on Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon, and on weekday evenings during the summer. There is something for everyone with distances from 5 to 30 miles.
- Dynamic Rides Cycling Club – An inclusive club for male and female cyclists, based in Hockley Heath, holding regular recreational and training rides for competent riders.
- Heart of England Cycling Club – A friendly cycling group with rides on a Wednesday, Saturday or Sunday for those who want to explore some of the great 20 – 100 mile cycling routes in the area.
- Midland Mencap ParkRide – A fun, free & flexible inclusive family cycling project that provides the whole family, regardless of age or need with the opportunity to enjoy the great outdoors through cycling, together!
- Solihull Cycling Club – A historic local club for local riders of all ages and abilities.
- Solihull Wheels for All – Providing inclusive cycling for all, including enabling people with a disability or restricted mobility to experience the thrill and fun of wheeled recreation.
We need your help to support the delivery of local cycling opportunities in Solihull. Fancy leading cycle rides, setting up a social cycling group, being a bike maintenance champion, helping out at cycling sessions, or inspiring others to cycle? If you’re passionate about cycling, want to give back to your community, or want to develop a career in cycling then please get in touch!
Register your interest to volunteer with us by contacting [email protected] or call us on 0121 704 8207.
Cycle Leaders: Perfect for confident cyclists who are enthusiastic about taking groups out and about. British Cycling ‘Guided Rides’ training qualification provided. Find out more with our Cycle Leader role profile.
Bike Maintenance Champion: Can you support us to fix local bikes and perhaps even lead local bike maintenance workshops for communities to learn new skills and help them get back on their bikes? Find out more with our Bike Maintenance Champion role profile.
Solihull Cycling Routes & Networks
For easier ways to get around Solihull, here are some useful links to planning a cycling route.
- Solihull Council Cycling Map
- Solihull Wildlife Ways & Existing Cycle Paths
- Cycle Routes in the West Midlands (British Cycling & Ordnance Survey maps)
- 3 Parks Cycling Route (Meriden Park, Sheldon Country Park and Elmdon Park)
- National Cycle Network
- British Cycling Route Planner
- Cycle Streets Route Planner