Running or jogging is for everyone and is most fun when shared with others. Whether you want to lose weight, train for an event, or simply enjoy exercising. Do it with friendly people whilst exploring your local area. This page offers something for everyone if you want to run in Solihull and get active your way.
Running has a range of physical, mental, and social benefits which include:
- Helps maintain a healthy weight
- Promotes strong bones and strengthens muscles
- It helps you to feel energised and improves mood
- Improves Cardiovascular fitness
- Its FREE!
Most new runners start out using a run/jog/walk technique. This is because they don’t have the endurance and/ or fitness to run for extended periods of time. There’s no need to worry about what level you are at, as you can work at your own intensity.
Running and Jogging for Beginners
General tips for beginners:
- If you are over 40, overweight and/or have any chronic illnesses, it is best to see your doctor before you start a running program
- Start by brisk walking and aim for at least 30 minutes per session. Gradually, over 6 weeks, build up to regular running.
- Make sure you warm up and stretch thoroughly before heading out and cool down with light stretches on your return
- Make sure you have plenty of fluids and take a water bottle with you on your run
- Allow a minimum of two complete rest days per week to avoid overtraining.
- Try other low impact activities at least once a week to reduce impact on your bones, muscles, and joints
- Plan your route – GB Mapometer is a great free tool for this
- Buy an appropriate pair of running trainers
- Wear appropriate clothes for the weather conditions and including high visibility clothing when running in the dark
Why not try and get running with Couch to 5k – a week-by-week description of the 9-week programme, ideal for beginners and helps you track your progress. Or want a gentler exercise, have a look at our walking page Walking in Solihull – Solihull On The Move
Thinking about running, want to run in Solihull – what group is right for me?
- Beginners Running North Solihull Sports Centre under The Big Run Project is dedicated to helping people just like you to reap the benefits of running, offering Couch to 5k social running groups in North Solihull. Ideal for absolute beginners. Contact Jamie Harper, E. [email protected], T. 07799 646324.
- Mums on the Run – If you always fancied being one of those women/Mums that just chucks on her trainers and heads out for a run, but aren’t sure where to start? Mums on the Run Club is a good place!
- This Girl Runs Solihull – local, fun & friendly run club for beginner & improver runners. Our clubs are NOT competitive, we are passionate about helping ladies who are beginner runners to get into their local parks & community to learn to run.
- RunTogether RunFitShirley A non-competitive, fun, friendly, inclusive and supportive group. Helping you get started and motivating you to keep going.
- Realbuzz Solihull 5k Social Run – The social run is a 5k run around the local area and all abilities are welcome. It is completely FREE! Just be there and ready to run and no one gets left behind. Find out more by calling 0121 745 6007 or follow-on Facebook @birminghamrunner
- Brueton Parkrun – Weekly Free 5km Timed Run every week on Saturday at 9am. Please come along and join in whatever your pace!
- Babbs Mill Parkrun – Weekly Free 5km Timed Run every week on Saturday at 9am. Please come along and join in whatever your pace!
- GoodGym Solihull – helps you get fit by doing good. We’re a group of runners that combines regular exercise with helping our communities.
- Enjoy Running – provides individual and group coaching for adult novice and recreational middle- and long-distance runners who are seeking to pursue running in a safe and enjoyable way to improve their health and fitness and to reach training goals. Contact Siobhan E. Cotter, [email protected], T.07887997694.
- Friday Night Track Club – Friday’s 7-8pm (Adults) launched in 2014 to help casual and club runners benefit from a professional UKA Coach to develop running technique, speed, endurance and reduce the chance of injury. Suitable for beginners right through to 2hour 40 marathoners.
- North Solihull Running Group Mondays and Wednesday 7 – 8pm, join this all abilities friendly running group led by volunteers for info, email: Sally Bynoe [email protected] or call 07903 790158
- Malvern Park Junior Parkrun – A free, fun, and friendly weekly 2k event for juniors (4- to 14-year-olds) It is held every Sunday at 9:00am.
- Teens Speed & Running Group – Friday’s 6-7pm (13+) – For teenagers from all sports who would like to become better and faster runners for their sport and athletes. We develop running technique, explosive speed, and agility. We give the group access to our industry leading technology and equipment whilst creating an enjoyable but hard-working environment.
- Marathon Kids North Solihull Sports Centre – Marathon Kids UK in parks is a free programme that runs on weekends and in the school holidays, allowing children to maintain regular exercise even when school’s out.
- Marathon Kids Olton Jubilee Park – Marathon Kids UK in parks is a free programme that runs on weekends and in the school holidays, allowing children to maintain regular exercise even when school’s out.
- Trackside Athletics Academy – Tuesday’s 4:30-5:30pm (6-9.5 years) The perfect introduction to athletics with expert coaching to develop physical literacy and social skills. A great way to get your children into running, jumping and throwing. Wednesday’s 4:30-5:30pm (9.5-13 years) Introduction to athletic training, with expert coaches to develop speed, strength, endurance, throws and jumps.