The majority of sports and physical activity sessions are run via volunteers and/or small community clubs or organisations. To support the delivery of sport and physical activity across Solihull, below is a variety of training and support you can access. Some of these sessions are run by Solihull Active, but others will be support from local and national partners. As new courses become available we will add to the list. Please follow @solihullactive1 on Facebook and @Solihullactive on Twitter for new courses.
Free Courses Available to support Sport and Physical Activity
National Partners free training and courses to support sport and physical activity delivery, that are available:
- Coaching others to coach – Open university/Sport England, Online – A course dedicated to developing the people who develop the coaches. It is intended to support people who are just beginning to support coaches or those who want to develop their expertise.
- Introduction to Adverse Childhood Experiences Early Trauma – Barnardo’s, Online. An introductory course that looks at how adverse childhood experiences affect children. Also, how they can impact over a life course and potential ways of helping to build resilience.
- Sainsbury’s Active Kids For All – Activity Alliance Face to Face. Sainsbury’s Active Kids for All Inclusive PE Training provides free training and resources to support teachers, trainee teachers and school staff. It enables teachers to provides a high quality PE curriculum for all young people. Community organisations should also be able to access this course.
- Carbon Literacy Training – The West Midlands Combined Authority and the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games are pleased to offer this Carbon Literacy training to anyone across the West Midlands, as part of the Games’ sustainability ambition to create a carbon neutral legacy for the region. One module is sport specific
Solihull Active Supported Courses:
Solihull Active have a number of free courses available for volunteers and physical activity based community voluntary groups working in Solihull. The courses currently on offer, are below. Please note these courses may change and there maybe waiting lists for certain courses run by national partners.
To register your interest please fill out a short survey and we will be in touch with further details.
- Get into Coaching: Assistant Coach in Sport & Physical Activity UK Coaching. Through this course, you will learn the roles and responsibilities of an assistant coach and earn UK Coaching’s digital badge.
- Child Protection in Sport and Physical Activity Training, NSPCC online. Introductory e-learning for safeguarding children and young people in sport or physical activity.
- Inclusive Activity Programme eLearning module, Activity Alliance online. This introductory e-learning module will equip you with the knowledge to deliver more inclusive activities.
- Inclusive Activity Programme learning package, Activity Alliance . You can access the full Inclusive Activity Programme learning package designed to provide comprehensive support in making your activities more inclusive. The content follows the CIMSPA Working Inclusively (working with disabled people) Population Standard.
- Inspiring positive behaviour in sport UK Coaching, online. The ‘Inspiring Positive Behaviour in Sport’ e-learning module helps you develop your skills in managing disruptive behaviour. So, it will challenge you to think about what you deem acceptable behaviour from your participants.
- Mental Health Awareness for Sport and Physical Activity+ Mind/UK Coaching, online. Complete this newly enhanced course to gain the confidence to be able to support people experiencing mental health problems. Help them to thrive inside and outside of your sessions.
- An Introduction to Safeguarding Adults in Sport and Physical Activity, Ann Craft Trust online. This course is ideal for those who live or work with adults or where adults are present. Including the care sector and charities to sport and activity organisations. This course is the first step to understanding safeguarding adults at risk.
- Safeguarding Adults in Sport – Developing Safer Culture in Clubs, Ann Craft Trust online – This course consists of one in-depth e-learning module. It’s suitable for welfare officers and safeguarding leads.
Other Organisations that offer support for Sport and Physical Activity providers:
Below are other providers that offer sport and physical activity training courses:
Solihull Active Volunteer Opportunities – https://solihullonthemove.co.uk/clubs-volunteers/volunteering-opportunities-in-solihull/
Sport England Club Matters courses – https://www.sportenglandclubmatters.com/club-matters-workshops/ Specific support for social media and marketing – sign up to the free digital marketing hub https://digital.cimspa.co.uk/join/
Think Active – Coventry, Solihull and Warwickshire’s Active Partnership https://thinkactive.org/
CAVA Solihull – https://www.wcava.org.uk/
Solihull Local Safeguarding Children’s Partnership – https://training.solihulllscp.co.uk/Learning-and-Development.aspx
Your National Governing Body of Sport will also provide a range of help and support.